By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders are looking for Edwards Lifesciences (EW) to rebound after its synthetic heart valve won regulatory approval for broader use last week.
About 3,700 October 75 calls were purchased for 20 cents to 75 cents on Friday, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The volume was well above the strike's previous open interest of 1,097 contracts, indicating that this is fresh buying.
These options lock in the purchase price for the stock for the next three weeks no matter how far it might rise. The calls could be sold earlier at a profit if premiums gain with a rally before then, but the contracts will expire worthless if shares remain below the $75 strike price.Edwards' shares closed Friday up 0.31% to $68.79. The medical-device maker hit resistance at the $73 level in August and had fallen for last two weeks but is now trying to get back above its 100-day moving average. Last Monday, the Food and Drug Administration granted multiple ways for the company's Sapien heart valve to be implanted. Friday's call-buying pushed total volume in the name to 5,883, more than 10 times its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outpaced puts by 5:1. Yamamoto has no positions in EW.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV