5 Reasons This Is the Year to Watch the NHL
NHL '94 returns in NHL '14
Perhaps just as important as what was happening on the ice 20 years ago was the NHL experience that Electronic Arts (ERTS) was creating off it.
EA's NHL '94 was not only a video game milestone, but a cultural touchstone for a whole generation of gamers and sports fans. Its blue ice, organ music, stiff-armed goal celebrations and pixelated graphics are seared into the memory of just about any member of Generation X who ever owned a Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo game console.If you loved to cut and deke through defenses as Jeremy Roenick, crank long-range goals as the New Jersey Devils' Darren Richer or pick the Toronto Maple Leafs' Tie Domi just to make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed Swingers style, there's a strong chance you still don't think a better hockey video game has ever been created. In some ways, EA agrees. With recent incarnations of its NHL series derided as bland and overly technical, EA decided to include an NHL '94 mode in its latest game and bring the experience into the Sony PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 era just as it ends. The gameplay is just as fast, the physics make the checks and dekes a bit more believable, but the important stuff such ass the star-shaped indicators and retro players including Roenick, Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are all still there. Unlike the original, however, you're actually allowed to drop the gloves and fight in this one. Times may have changed a bit, but the formula for bringing Gen X back to hockey still involves NHL '94. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV