At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Strategizing for a Shutdown
Posted at 11:54 a.m. EDT on Thursday, Sept. 26You have to wonder how we can have a big move up that can be sustained given how much we hear about what can happen in a government shutdown. How do you get excited ahead of an event that could cut a percent out of gross national product? How do you start buying stocks when numbers are too high for all but the most international of companies? (JCP) which, from all the stories I have read, does need to raise money. But let's think this through. One of the hardest hit areas in the 1995-1996 shutdown was travel. Non-essential services like passport issuances and national parks were shut down. You saw a dramatic decline in travel, which was the weakness that reverberated through the system. We know that the sequester knocked off sales for the airlines -- almost all referenced the sequester as a point of weakness. One can only imagine how badly this one will hurt the airlines, which have been a terrific leader of the bull market. Now consider how weak Hertz (HTZ) is today, citing airline traffic. That was a hideous downside surprise -- the worst I have seen. But I wouldn't buy it ahead of a shutdown; I would short it. The rental car business was another leader in this market because of the consolidation in the industry. (JPM), that's for certain. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long JPM.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV