NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- a regional-to-national story; and
- heading into a government shutdown.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
Look for Dunkin to Cover the MapPosted at 4:19 p.m. EDT on Friday, Sept. 27 Sometimes themes in our business get so ingrained that you speak in shorthand about them, when they are actually as arcane as the infield fly rule or the cover 2 defense. Such is the case with the "regional-to-national" concept I am always harping on. I did it again last night on "Mad Money" when I said Dunkin Brands (DNKN - Get Report) is the quintessential regional-to-national story that you have to own. I might as well have said to someone who has never watched a football game in their life that Dunkin is running a read option play where he hits the A gap. So let me go over it in English, because second nature doesn't cut it with first-nature people. When I was still in law school, trading from my dirty linoleum floor, I read a book by Peter Lynch -- who is still perhaps the greatest mutual fund investor of our time -- called One Up on Wall Street. This revolutionary book told you how regular investors can beat the big boys at their own game. I know: These days, when I say that home gamers can beat the professionals, a whole flock of managers says I am being reckless. But Peter Lynch, who is the envy of many who knock me, knew better. A key tenet of Lynch's philosophy was that, if you keep your eyes open and just act on your instincts, after you have done some homework on a company, you can do fabulously in the market. For example, he said, if you like a store or a restaurant -- I mean, really like it -- others will, too. So if you look up where the company has stores and you see a substantial part of the country doesn't yet have a store that you like, there's a good chance, if the balance sheet is sound, that you might have a winner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV