Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin rates Regions a "buy," with a price target of $11, and in his third-quarter earnings preview for regional banks on Thursday wrote that a slight "beat" to the consensus estimate is likely "to be driven by net interest margin expansion." He expects the margin to expand because of redemptions and maturities of debt securities, CD repricing, which is still heading lower, with the federal funds rate stuck in a range of zero to 0.25% since late 2008, and a "positive mix-shift to loans from securities."
Usdin expects Regions Financial's net interest income to increase to $838 million in the third quarter from $821 million the previous quarter, with the bank's net interest margin expanding by seven basis points to 3.23%. Jefferies estimates the company to report third-quarter EPS of 22 cents.
Interested in more on Regions Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV