NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Americans are obsessed with terrorism.
Fans are on the edge of their seats waiting for the third season of Homeland, CBS (CBS) Showtime's critically acclaimed, yet controversial cable television show. The show's two main characters are Sergeant Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), a damaged U.S. Marine who was "turned" by al-Qaeda, and Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes), a bi-polar, yet brilliant, CIA officer.
Season 2's premiere last October pulled in a combined 2.07 million viewers, including encore airing, up 60% from the year before, according to media reports. Season 3, which premieres on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9:00 p.m. EST, will surely surpass that, given the growing buzz about the show. The current state of the American psyche is likely driving the show's popularity.
Homeland viewers can relate to the show's premise -- the very real threat of terrorists living among everyday people. That much became obvious with 9/11 and more recently with the Boston Marathon bombings this past spring."It's topical," says Brad Adgate, senior vice president of research at Horizon Media. "It really resonates with the viewers because it's relevant. It's something going on now. It's a little more real." The show's popularity also comes from its anti-hero protagonist, who happens to be a female, Adgate says. "It's not Tony Soprano or Don Draper. ... it's Carrie Mathison," Adgate says. "Claire Danes is just a brilliant actor." It also has the age-old recipe for TV viewing: we love our flawed characters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV