But Ed D'Agostino of Hard Assets Alliance tells TheStreet's Joe Deaux that it's a good time to accumulate the precious metal before its next big move higher.
However, the catalyst that D'Agostino sees for higher gold prices is one that not many investors have considered: real estate.
He said that as soon as mortgage rates ticked higher, mortgage applications and refinance activity dropped instantly.Banks such as Citigroup (C) and Wells Fargo (WFC) have even started slashing jobs in their mortgage departments as a result. D'Agostino said that if the housing market weakens, the overall economy will too, and the was thinking about this dynamic when it decided not to taper. Eventually, however, interest rates will go up. Generally, this is viewed as a bad thing for gold, but in a weak economy such as this one, rising interest rates will be negative for the economy and especially negative for mortgage rates and housing, he said. Because of this, D'Agostino concluded that gold should actually benefit from rising rates in this environment. Although it may remain in a trading range in the near term, he said it should move higher near the end of the year or in the early part of the first quarter. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV