James Dennin, Kapitall: Despite displeasure with the US and political unrest at home, these Brazilian stocks have solid inventory turnover.
Can you invest in Brazil? Should you even consider Brazilian stocks for your portfolio? It was certainly a popular choice a few years ago.
During America's dark days in 2009, investors were flocking to Brazil. Despite the ripple effects from American bank crashes, the Brazilian economy grew at a breakneck speed of 7.5%. Growth in the largest country in South America prompted analysts to coin the term BRIC, as an acronym for the four most important emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, and China.
[Read more from Kapitall: US Soccer Sponsors Are World Cup Bound]This prompted the country's voters to stay on course – electing the protég é of the very leader who presided over economic boom times. Unfortunately, things aren't going as well for Dilma Rousseff. Since taking over growth has lagged to less than one percent. This is partly due to falling commodity prices. But Brazil faces many other problems as well – it has some of the worst infrastructure in the world and a pension system that makes Detroit's look downright austere. On the flip side there are a number of reasons why may be too early to write off this economic giant.
- Badly needed tax and legislation reform would help make the country more competitive for investment.
- Brazil stands to become a major oil exporter in the years to come – and is already a giant in food exports.
- The energy boom is helping to finance a growing local biotechnology industry.
- And Brazil will host to both the Olympics and the World Cup in the next few years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV