BETHESDA, Md., Sept. 27, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:SCMP) ("Sucampo") today announced the poster presentation of data evaluating the long-term safety of AMITIZA ® (lubiprostone) as a treatment for adults with chronic, non-cancer pain suffering from opioid-induced constipation (OIC). This poster presentation demonstrates that AMITIZA does not affect opioid-induced analgesia, was well-tolerated, and resulted in overall improvement in symptoms in OIC patients. Sucampo will present this data at the 24 th Annual Clinical Meeting for the American Academy of Pain Management (AAPM) in Orlando, Florida on Friday, September 27, 2013.
AMITIZA is the world's first chloride channel activator that increases intestinal fluid secretion, softens stools and increases motility in the intestine, thereby facilitating the passage of stool and alleviating symptoms associated with chronic constipation. Based on the data to be presented, in treating OIC, AMITIZA does not interfere with the analgesic effect of opioids in adult patients.
"As a ClC-2 channel activator, AMITIZA has a unique method of action in treating OIC, which is one of the most common adverse effects of chronic opioid use. These clinical data to be presented at AAPM demonstrate that AMITIZA can have an impact on OIC without affecting opioid analgesia," said Ryuji Ueno, M.D., Ph.D., Ph.D., Chairman, Chief Scientific Officer, and Chief Executive Officer of Sucampo. "We are pleased to be able to share these data with physicians involved in the management of patients with chronic pain."The following poster will be presented by Taryn Joswick, Vice President of Clinical Development for Sucampo, during the Poster Session at the 24th Annual Clinical Meeting for the AAPM on Friday, September 27, between 1:45p.m. – 2:45 p.m. EDT:
- Lubiprostone Does not Affect Analgesia in OIC Patients
Additional information about the AAPM's 24th Annual Clinical Meeting can be found at http://www.aapainmanage.org/conference/annual-clinical-meeting/ . About AMITIZA AMITIZA (lubiprostone) capsules are indicated for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) in adults and OIC in adults with chronic, non-cancer pain (24 mcg twice daily). The effectiveness in patients with OIC taking diphenylheptane opioids (e.g., methadone) has not been established. AMITIZA is also indicated for irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) in women > 18 years old (8 mcg twice daily).
- Taryn Joswick, BS, PMP, Egilius L. H. Spierings, MD, PhD, Elizabeth Linder, Ryuji Ueno, MD, PhD, PhD, Poster 18
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV