By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Traders are looking for a rally in Midstates Petroleum (MPO) by next spring.
More than 3,600 March 7.50 calls traded in a bullish pattern for 40 cents to 50 cents on Thursday, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The volume was well above the strike's previous open interest of 994 contracts, indicating that these are new positions.
These calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased through mid-March 2014 no matter how far it might rise. They could be sold earlier for a profit if premiums gain with a rally before then, but the contracts will expire worthless if shares remain below the $7.50 strike price.Midstates shares rose 1.49% to $5.46 Thursday. The stock spiked higher on Sept. 11 when the Houston-based oil company reported improving production numbers, but shares have been trading in an increasingly tight range since then. Thursday's trades pushed total option volume in the name above 4,200 contracts, more than 24 times its daily average. Only 180 of those options were puts, another sign of bullish sentiment in the name. Yamamoto has no positions in MPO
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV