Climbing Through the Debt Ceiling
So we turn to the economic impact of a debt ceiling delay; specifically, the impact on publicly traded firms' earnings, which ultimately determines whether this hits stocks. This should be minimal. U.S. firms have already weathered three-plus years of federal spending cuts -- public contracts aren't what they used to be -- so fewer firms will take a revenue hit from government IOUs. Then, too, any hit is short-term.
Once Congress compromises, the Treasury can issue as much debt as needed to repay those IOUs. So over time the impact on profits is slim to none.
Absent a legitimate default threat or potential hit to corporate profits, the debt ceiling isn't a risk for stocks. There aren't anywhere near enough associated negatives to outweigh all the fundamentals driving this bull market. In the near term, we could see sentiment-driven volatility -- folks are fearful.
But over time, as fear fades and reality surpasses investors' dour expectations, markets get a lift. When reality proves fear false, investors buy stocks. It's rather like investors having to cover short positions when markets don't tank. False fears create equity demand -- a powerful market tailwind and a big reason to be bullish on the debt ceiling.This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV