BC-US--Business Features Digest, US
BEMUS POINT, N.Y. â¿¿ Increasingly popular bathroom wipes â¿¿ pre-moistened towelettes that are often advertised as flushable â¿¿ are being blamed for creating clogs and backups in sewer systems around the nation, costing some municipalities millions of dollars as they dispatch crews to unclog pipes and pumps and replace and upgrade machinery. The problem got so bad in Bemus Point that sewer officials set up traps to figure out which households the wipes were coming from. They mailed letters and then pleaded in person for residents to stop flushing them. By Carolyn Thompson.
Eds: Sent Monday for use anytime. 860 words.AP photos, glance. With: â¿¿ WIPE-WOES-WHAT-NOT-TO-FLUSH â¿¿ Wipes, paper towels among items clogging sewers. Eds: Sent Monday for use anytime. 150 words. AP photos. DIGITAL LIFE-TECH TEST-NEW KINDLES SEATTLE â¿¿ In the fleeting moments I had with Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet, I noticed one major thing: It lost a lot of weight. The engineers at Amazon managed to slim down their flagship tablet in every dimension. Add to that the company's claim that the processor is three times as fast as last year's Kindle Fire HD, and Amazon.com Inc. seems to have an attractive holiday gift option on its hands. By Ryan Nakashima. Eds: Sent Wednesday for use anytime. 1,070 words AP photos, video. WITH: â¿¿ DIGITAL LIFE-TECH TEST-NEW KINDLES-SMALL TABLETS. A look at 7-inch Kindle and its rivals. â¿¿ DIGITAL LIFE-TECH TEST-NEW KINDLES-LARGE TABLETS. A look at 8.9-inch Kindle and its rivals. DIGITAL LIFE-TECH TEST-NEW SURFACE NEW YORK â¿¿ Is Microsoft's new Surface a tablet or a laptop? I'm not quite sure, but it certainly is a lot easier to type on than an iPad. It almost seems unfair to categorize the new Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 as tablets. By Bree Fowler.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV