The Nokia Lumia 1020 is an exciting phone for those who want greater picture quality. I love taking pictures on my phone. I have a Canon (CAJ) T4i Camera and it delivers much better pictures than my Samsung S3, but unless I'm going somewhere that requires the need for it, I use my phone. With new and better phones in the pipeline, a Windows-based Nokia phone makes a compelling option.
Microsoft's continued drive to accelerate its lineup of consumer options appears to be the right direction for the company. The new Nokia phones will undoubtedly play well with Microsoft's SkyDrive online office suite, offering to counter Google's online office apps. For outlook and Windows users, SkyDrive has a more familiar look and feel, plus SkyDrive offers greater online storage for free.
The challenge, of course, is to grow market share in a space Microsoft doesn't dominate. Growing from behind isn't exactly new territory, as demonstrated in the last couple years of market-share growth for the Xbox.
If Microsoft's smartphone business grows and becomes a significant participant, Windows' mobile software could turn into a revenue source, not unlike Apple's. We can anticipate continued Microsoft growth through Nokia's Oct. 22 announcement, especially considering BlackBerry's sales are now up for grabs.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV