Why a Short-Term Health Plan Might Make Sense for Some Before Obamacare
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With the Affordable Care Act nearing its Tuesday deadline for open enrollment, some Americans still aren't sure what moves to make on the fast-moving health care insurance front.
Only four in 10 Americans even know that the Affordable Care Act is the law of the land, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. And half of Americans don't understand how the ACA will affect their families.
With uncertainty the rule, many Americans without health care or whose employers may be moving them on to heath care exchanges may be considering short-term care insurance -- at least to plug gaps and buy some time until they know where they stand under the new law.
But is taking the short route a good idea?The Mountain View, Calif., online health insurance exchange eHealthInsurance says so. "If you're uninsured now and biding time until you enroll in 2014 -- or if you find yourself uninsured for a brief period of time in early 2014 -- short-term health insurance is worth considering," says Carrie McLean, eHealth's Obamacare expert (yes, that's her real title). in the past.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV