Report: Kansas Economy Growing Slower Than Nation
"Companies are just accepting of the health care law, they are not going to make changes," Hill said.
More likely to make structural changes is the insurance industry, he said, which is expected to see more mergers to cut administrative costs.
Hospitals are likely to expand its employment with the new health care law, but surveys show that is because doctors concerned about being in private practices want to move to hospitals that offer more security.
"That does not mean there is going to be a huge shift in the number of doctors needed or other health care providers needed," Hill said. "It is just going to shift where those jobs are in the economy."The business tax cuts put championed by Gov. Sam Brownback have been a "windfall for sole proprietorships," he said, but have not created any noticeable boost in the number of jobs so far. "I never had an optimistic outlook of the tax plans materializing in a lot of jobs in any short period of time," Hill said. Forecast job growth next year in Kansas is unequal across the state. The best growth is in the Kansas City area as shown by the increase in professional services sector which is anticipated to create 4,837 jobs for a 3 percent increase in jobs. "When you look at the rest of the state, Wichita still had a lot of bad news for aviation this last year," Hill said. "They didn't create jobs so that really held the whole state back." Manufacturing is forecast to grow by 1.5 percent next year in Kansas, CEDBR said. The sector that includes natural resources, mining and construction is projected to grow by 3.8 percent. No industry in the state is expected to cut its overall employment, but "virtually no growth" is expected in government jobs, Hill said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV