PITTSBURGH, Sept. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MSA (NYSE: MSA), the global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of safety products that protect people's health and safety, and the largest producer of industrial hard hats in North America, has developed the world's first "green" protective hard hat manufactured from sugarcane.
Unlike conventional hard hats manufactured from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) sourced from nonrenewable petrochemicals, the V-Gard GREEN hard hat from MSA is manufactured using "green" HDPE sourced entirely from sugarcane ethanol. Developed by MSA in Brazil, the V-Gard GREEN hard hat will be introduced to North American customers at the 2013 National Safety Council Congress & Expo, scheduled for September 28 through October 4 in Chicago."By developing a hard hat sourced from sugar, we are effectively reducing the overall carbon footprint associated with the life-cycle of this product," said Eric Beck, MSA's Global Director of Strategic Marketing. Mr. Beck explained that through the natural process of photosynthesis, sugarcane cultivation captures CO 2 from the atmosphere, thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, according to a 2007 eco-efficiency study conducted by Fundacao Espaco Eco, for every ton of green HDPE produced, approximately 2.5 tons of carbon dioxide are captured from the atmosphere and environment. Just like MSA's market-leading, traditional V-Gard hard hats, the V-Gard GREEN protective hard hat meets the company's rigorous performance standards as well as those defined by ANSI Z89.1 and CSA Z94.1. "The sustainable benefits of using 'green' HDPE in a hard hat are what initially captured our interest," Mr. Beck said. "But at the end of the day, the hard hat has to provide the same high level of head protection that our V-Gard brand is known for around the world. That's what makes this product option so attractive."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV