Another under-$10 stock that's starting to move within range of triggering a big breakout trade is Alexza Pharmaceuticals ( ALXA), which is focused on the research, development and commercialization of novel proprietary products for the acute treatment of central nervous system conditions. This stock hasn't done much so far in 2013, with shares up by just 5.6%.
If you take a look at the chart for Alexza Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last month, with shares moving higher from its low of $4.23 to its recent high of $5.52 a share. Following that uptrend, shares of ALXA have now started to trend sideways and consolidate between $4.95 on the downside and $5.52 on the upside. Shares of ALXA are now starting to spike within range of triggering a big breakout trade above the upper-end of its recent sideways trading chart pattern.Market players should now look for long-biased trades in ALXA if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $5.40 to $5.52 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 256,570 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then ALXA will set up to re-test or possibly take out its 52-week high at $6.65 a share, or its next major overhead resistance level at $7.60 a share. Traders can look to buy ALXA off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day moving average at $4.77 a share, or near its 200-day moving average at $4.63 a share. One can also buy ALXA off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV