Another under-$10 stock that's starting to trend within range of triggering a major breakout trade is Sucampo Pharmaceuticals (SCMP), which is engaged in the discovery, development and commercialization of proprietary drugs based on prostones, and other novel drug technologies. This stock is off to a decent start in 2013, with shares up by 26%.
If you take a look at the chart for Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock has been downtrending badly for the last four months, with shares dumping hard from its high of $10.48 to its recent low of $5.40 a share. During that downtrend, shares of SCMP have been consistently making lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, the downside volatility for SCMP looks to be over in the short-term since the stock has started to reverse its downtrend and enter an uptrend. That reverse is quickly pushing shares of SCMP within range of triggering a major breakout trade above a key downtrend line.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in SCMP if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $6.33 to $6.66 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 115,383 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then SCMP will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $7.09 to $7.67 a share. Any high-volume move above those levels will then give SCMP a chance to tag $8 to $9 a share. Traders can look to buy SCMP off weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at $5.58 to $5.40 a share. One can also buy SCMP off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV