For the eighth year in a row, Apple topped the list. Tech companies make up the top four companies on the list, with Samsung right behind Apple in second. Google (GOOG) and Microsoft (MSFT) are the other two technology companies in the top five most innovative companies.
"Tech and telecom still rule a big part of the innovation roost," said Kim Wagner, a BCG senior partner and coauthor of the report. "But we are also seeing a resurgence in recognition for the ability of traditional manufacturers to innovate in product, process, and technology. Auto companies are leading the way."
Toyota (TM) is fifth on the list, moving up from the sixth spot in last year's list.Rounding out the top 10 are two more tech companies, two more automakers, and an industrial. IBM (IBM), Amazon (AMZN), Ford (F), BMW and General Electric (GE) round out the top 10. In this year's survey, BGC added a new category of up-and-coming companies that are changing their respective categories because of their levels of innovation but are still relatively young or haven't reached scale yet. Those companies include Pinterest, WhatsApp, Square, Line, Spotify, Rakuten, Alibaba, Netflix (NFLX) and Groupon (GRPN). The survey is built off of responses from more than 1,500 executives across a wide range of industries. It's then supplemented with three financial metrics, including three-year total shareholder returns, three-year revenue growth, and three-year margin growth. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV