Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts today revealed the results of a newly commissioned survey on global coffee and travel habits as the Paris-born brand begins to roll-out Master Baristas at its hotels and resorts worldwide by end of year. The Le Méridien survey, conducted in advance of International Coffee Day on September 29, found that coffee surpasses sex as the ideal wake-up call according to more than half (53%) of the global respondents. The study also established that coffee drinkers are addicted to this morning ritual as 54% of respondents make their morning brew right at home and an overwhelming 78% would rather give up alcohol, social media or sex with their spouse for a year rather than forfeit coffee – proving that a bean buzz remains the ultimate high.
The new global study of coffee drinkers and frequent travelers in six countries – from India to the US, China to UAE, among other key markets – uncovers how today’s ‘mega-travelers’ get their caffeine fix. While travel usually provides a break from the daily routine, the survey shows that coffee remains an on-the-go necessity as, on average, people drink more coffee when they are away from home. Coffee traditions and flavors from around the world are so distinct that a majority of seasoned jetsetters (53%) claim to have experienced nostalgia for a destination due to the cup of coffee they enjoyed while traveling.
Spilling the Beans: Coffee Habits Fuel the Day
A ubiquitous necessity and source of energy, the coffee one consumes – and how much – can say a lot.
- Surprisingly, the Le Méridien brand’s study found that most people (58%) prefer to drink coffee to relax, while 55% also drink it primarily for the taste.
- A majority of respondents (51%) feel they could go longer without sex than without coffee.
- Of all the effects felt from lack of coffee, approximately one-fourth (28%) feel less creative, 22% cannot get out of bed, and 16% say that they are not able to talk to other people without it.
- The vast majority of people need a coffee caffeinated kick during long meetings (81%), while only 56% would request water.
- 73% of respondents would give up television and internet in a hotel for the perfect cup of coffee.
- The majority of respondents (63%) would give up alcohol over coffee while staying at a hotel.
- Travelers also experience an emotional response to coffee, given that 58% of respondents say they generally miss the coffee experience they had while traveling.
- The global study found that a majority of respondents (64%) access social media while having coffee and traveling, all at the same time.
- While drinking coffee on the road, people like to stay connected through various channels as most respondents (72%) will either check their social media accounts or read a newspaper/magazine.
- More than half (53%) said that if they were going to post a beverage on their social media accounts while traveling, it would be coffee.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV