TUCSON, Ariz., Sept. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) successfully completed its first two Guide to Hit (GTH) test series of the Precision Extended Range Munition (PERM) program for the United States Marine Corps. This GTH tested the structural integrity and the kinematic capability of the round when fired from a smooth bore mortar tube.
The tests confirmed that after launch, the canards and tail fins deploy and the round transitions to steady flight. The test also confirmed that the round would meet expected range and impact angle requirements. The next series of GTH tests will be conducted out of a rifled mortar tube.
"Raytheon is leveraging our extensive experience with precision artillery and munitions to meet an aggressive, 18-month development schedule," said Tom Bussing, vice president of Advanced Missile Systems for Raytheon Missile Systems. "Our PERM solution's exceptional accuracy not only means long-range precision fire support; it results in less collateral damage and logistical burden for Marine Corps Expeditionary Forces."
Raytheon is under contract to deliver mature, production-representations of the 120mm extended range, guided mortar munition for a live-fire demonstration phase by the Marines in early 2014. Following a successful Preliminary Design Review in May, the Raytheon program continues to meet the aggressive Marine Corps schedule. The company has partnered with Israeli Military Industries, an experienced provider of weapon systems.Once fielded, PERM will be used with the M327 rifled towed mortar, the primary weapon system of the Expeditionary Fire Support System. EFSS provides all-weather, ground-based responsive close fires in support of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force. About PERM
- Excalibur-like operational flexibility and precision lethality for the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Extended range to reach enemy artillery, command and control centers, and other targets beyond current mortar capabilities.
- Control system design compensates for errors induced by weather and gun emplacement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV