Here's how those valuations compare to the rest of the "big six" U.S. banking club:
- Shares of Bank of America closed at $14.14 Wednesday and traded for 10.4 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.36.
- Wells Fargo also traded for 10.4 times its consensus estimate of $4.01, when the shares closed Wednesday at $41.81. The contrast between Bank of America and Wells Fargo is striking, as Wells Fargo has been, by far, the strongest earnings performer among the "big six" over the past five years, while Bank of America is still a weak overall earnings performer.
- Shares of Morgan Stanley closed at $27.22 Wednesday and traded for 10.5 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.59.
- Goldman Sachs closed at $162.31 Wednesday and traded for 10.5 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $15.48.
Investors who may have thought it was too late to make a killing on the recovery of the largest U.S. banks may be looking at a golden opportunity to load up on shares of JPMorgan Chase during this period of awful daily headlines. That assumes the investors who go in have strong enough stomachs to allow the company's underlying operating earnings power to shine over a period of several years.
JPMorgan's shares were up 0.3% in afternoon trading Thursday, to $51.88. The broad indices were all showing solid gains, while the KBW bank index was down 0.2% to 62.60.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV