CHICAGO, Sept. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Intellectual Property Exchange International, Inc. (IPXI), the world's first financial exchange for licensing and trading intellectual property (IP) rights, announced that it kicked off its inaugural Annual Members Meeting in Chicago last night with a keynote address from David Kappos, former Under Secretary of Commerce to the United States and Director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The meeting has drawn officials from dozens of IPXI member firms from all over the world that include corporations, universities, research laboratories, law firms and financial institutions.
Taking place at the Four Seasons Chicago, the event will serve as an annual academic and social event for IPXI's members to converse, learn and create community around the established support for an efficient and transparent IP marketplace.
Kappos, now a partner at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York, is widely credited with reforming the USPTO operations and overseeing one of the most productive periods in the office's history, which included comprehensive rulemaking and extensive public engagement.Kappos told IPXI members: "A stable IP system is invaluable for the future of innovation. There has been substantial growth in IP-intensive industries over the last several years, and it is time for intellectual property to emerge as an asset class." IPXI President and Chief Executive Officer Gerard J. Pannekoek said: "We are absolutely thrilled at the caliber of our member participants and the dialogue they are fostering at our first annual meeting. Members have flown in from around the world, including France, Germany, India, Japan, the Netherlands and Sweden. We have created something entirely new in the IP world, and we could never have accomplished this without the extensive involvement of some of the world's greatest minds in this field." IPXI continues the meeting today with a range of activities including:
- Small group discussions led by IP Hall of Fame members Ruud Peters and Marshall Phelps, who also serve on the IPXI Board of Directors. Peters is Chief Intellectual Property Officer of Philips, the world leader in healthcare, lifestyle and lighting. Phelps led IP business and related activities for Microsoft and IBM, two of the world's largest IP owners.
- An interactive demonstration of the IPXI trading platform.
- A luncheon address on standard essential patents and Fair, Reasonable and Nondiscriminatory Licensing (FRAND) by James Carmichael and Mark Catan, both Principals of Miles & Stockbridge. Carmichael is a former Administrative Patent Judge on the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts