NEW YORK, Sept. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates declined for a third week in a row, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate plunging to 4.47 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.33 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage fell to 3.53 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate dropped to 4.64 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were lower also, with the popular 5-year adjustable rate dropping to 3.41 percent and the 7-year ARM now at 3.77 percent.The Federal Reserve's decision not to begin tapering their stimulus will give mortgage shoppers a reprieve from rising rates, but only until the tapering starts. As for when that will be, much depends on the outcome of the government budget and debt ceiling debates. If they are resolved smoothly and without incident, the Fed could taper as soon as their next meeting in late October. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.47 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,009.81, a difference of $109 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.47% -- down from 4.66% last week (avg. points: 0.33)15-year fixed: 3.53% -- down from 3.70% last week (avg. points: 0.23)5/1 ARM: 3.41% -- down from 3.55% last week (avg. points: 0.21) Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in the top 10 markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV