A Simple Way to Dramatically Improve Your Leadership
For many managers, improving leadership is very easy. Just show up.
Schedule a one-on-one meeting with each direct report every two weeks. If a manager says he is too busy serving the customer or attending meetings to spend two hours a month with each direct report, then he is not a manager; he is an individual contributor.
The one-on-one meeting is ideally scheduled for one hour at the same time each week. The agenda is owned by the subordinate. There should be no preparation work for the manager. Typically, the subordinate will present his plans, describe progress-to-date, and ask for specific manager support. The manager listens deeply and commits his support. Remember, this is not a performance review -- do not make judgments. As a manager, your objective is to help your subordinate succeed in his role.
The biggest value of one-on-ones may not be the meeting itself. It's like studying for a test in school. Sure, you study all semester, but before tests, your studying is many times more productive. The same is true when using one-on-ones. Subordinates will focus themselves for the Friday quiz. One-on-ones increase productivity.Being a great leader does not have to be so difficult. For now, forget the leadership books and theories. Your first step is to just show up. Follow @tkyohall This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV