Channels, choices & convenience lead to online shopping satisfaction
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Sept. 26, 2013 /CNW/ - comScore, Inc., a leader in measuring the digital world, and UPS Canada today released the results of the UPS Pulse of the Online Shopper Study™: A Customer Experience Study, which contains key consumer insights into elements of the online shopping experience that drive brand preference, customer loyalty and word-of-mouth recommendations.
The study, conducted by comScore found online shoppers are increasingly demanding more from retailers. Consumers want more information at the start of the online experience, more options during checkout and delivery, and more channels for interacting with their favourite retailers. A seamless returns process, free shipping and social and mobile access were rated among the most important needs of today's online shopper.
"This study highlights the critical three Cs of today's retail online customer experience - channels, choices and convenience," said Nicolas Dorget, vice president of customer solutions, UPS Canada. "Retailers can win shoppers over by providing a consistent and positive omnichannel experience. From mobile apps to social media platforms, today's consumers value - and even expect - services to work together across the entire shopping continuum from pre-purchase to post-purchase.""With more and more device options for staying connected to their favourite brands, retailers have a growing number of touch points through which to reach consumers," said Susan Engleson, senior director at comScore. "Retailers that customize shopping experiences so that these experiences align with how customers use different devices and platforms have a real opportunity to build brand loyalty and drive sales." Channels Shoppers demonstrated a preference for retailers that deliver an integrated and value-added experience across all channels, including in-store, online and via mobile devices.
- The single most important factor, cited by 65% of respondents, was the ability to buy online and make returns in-store, while the second most important factor is availability of in-store pickup (49%).
- Nearly 30% of shoppers want to be able to purchase in-store with their mobile device and want a mobile application for their smartphones.
- Nearly half of consumers using a retailer's mobile app are less likely to comparison shop when using an app versus a browser.
- Nearly 90% of online shoppers indicated they have placed items in their shopping carts and left the site without making a purchase.
- Online consumers indicated that communicating shipping costs and delivery times early in the online shopping experience can help alleviate cart abandonment.
- More than three quarters of online shoppers said they have added items to their shopping carts in order to qualify for free shipping, suggesting that retailers' minimum spending thresholds for free shipping are effective at inducing consumers to spend more.
- Nearly 50% have returned a product purchased online.
- Sixty-five per cent of consumers will shop more with a retailer if they offer a hassle-free returns policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV