Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified DryShips (DRYS) as a post-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified DryShips as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DRYS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $81.7 million.
- DRYS is up 4.1% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DRYS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DRYS NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on DRYS: DryShips Inc. owns drybulk carriers and tankers that operate worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 6%. Currently there are no analysts that rate DryShips a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for DryShips has been 10.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. DryShips has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 2.27 and a short float of 1.5% with 0.36 days to cover. Shares are up 116.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates DryShips as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk and disappointing return on equity.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry. The net income has decreased by 14.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$15.97 million to -$18.21 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.14 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, DRYSHIPS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- DRYS, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 17.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to not be hurting the bottom line, shown by stable earnings per share.
- DRYSHIPS INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DRYSHIPS INC reported poor results of -$0.64 versus -$0.22 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.28 versus -$0.64).
- You can view the full DryShips Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about DRYS
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV