But Marchione (also understandably) does not want to pay top dollar for a firm which still seems to have some problems. Chrysler has lower brand recognizability than Ford (F) or General Motors (GM), especially abroad, and is famous for building larger SUVs and trucks in an era when the market is focusing more on fuel-efficiency and electric cars. Chrysler gets about 86% of its revenue domestically in an age when emerging markets are seen by most as key.
In addition, a flurry of electric car companies are gearing up for their own IPOs after they saw how Tesla's (TSLA) turned out. Many of these firms, from the Atlanta-based Wheego to the California-based Fisker, would face heavy competition from the big names. This makes it important to pay attention to any big-name partnerships. For instance, a new start-up called Coda is in talks to provide electric cars for the car rental giant Hertz (HTZ).
If all this talk of IPOs and new ventures isn't enough to rev the engines of auto enthusiasts – I don't know what is.
Click on the interactive chart below to see data over time.Do you invest in the auto industry? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (HTZ): Engages in the car and equipment rental businesses worldwide. Market cap at $10.27B, most recent closing price at $25.63.
2. Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electric vehicles and advanced electric vehicle powertrain components. Market cap at $21.41B, most recent closing price at $181.11.
3. Ford Motor Co. (F): Develops, manufactures, distributes, and services vehicles and parts worldwide. Market cap at $67.65B, most recent closing price at $17.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV