CLEVELAND, Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mary Schmidt's refrigerator is as old as Mickey Mouse, Scotch Tape and Twinkies. Schmidt's 1930 refrigerator has tied with a Columbus area resident's 1930 fridge for the title of Ohio's Oldest Fridge.
Mary Schmidt was named the Oldest Fridge Contest winner after scheduling to have her 1930 refrigerator picked up by The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company (CEI), a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE), during this summer's statewide contest. In addition to the guaranteed $50 incentive that every customer receives for participating in the statewide refrigerator and freezer recycling program, Schmidt also won $1,250 for recycling what is believed to be the state's oldest operating refrigerator.
Schmidt's parents purchased the refrigerator when Mary was only a year old. She used the fridge throughout her life, and at the time of pickup still possessed all the original paperwork for the appliance.
"That old fridge always ran, and always ran well — I used it my entire life," Schmidt said. "I read about the contest in the paper, and I thought, 'maybe I'll win something!'"Schmidt's refrigerator was one of thousands of refrigerators and freezers picked up throughout Ohio during a joint effort among utilities to seek out the oldest functioning fridge in the state. Another Cleveland resident, Adolph Thomay, won a $250 regional prize for recycling the oldest refrigerator in his utility company's territory. CEI customers can continue to save money by having an older, less efficient unit in their garage or basement picked up for recycling. To participate in the program, CEI customers can call 1-877-545-4112, or visit energysaveOhio.com. The program is limited to removal of two units per household. Appliances to be recycled must be in working order and between 10 and 30 cubic feet — standard size for most models.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV