NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) surged 3.9% to $77.13 in post-markets trading after the housewares and home decor company reported better-than-expected second-quarter profit and revenue.
The Union, N.J.-based company net income of $249.3 million, or $1.16 a share, rose 18.4% from the year-ago period. Net sales for the quarter, which ended August 31, rose 8.9%, to $2.82 billion.
Analysts, according to Thomson Reuters, expected the company to increase earnings by 17% to $1.15 a share. Revenue was expected to rise by 8% to $2.81 billion.
Bed Bath & Beyond's comparable store sales in the quarter increased by 3.7%, compared with an increase of approximately 3.5% in 2012's fiscal second quarter.The company maintained its earnings guidance for the third quarter of $1.11 to $1.16 a share. However it raised full-year earnings guidance slightly to a range of $4.88 to $5.01 a share. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV