BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC), the nation's largest producer of construction aggregates, has entered into a transaction with Plum Creek Timber Company, Inc. (NYSE: PCL) for the sale of an interest in the future production at four quarries in Atlanta, Georgia.
With this transaction, Vulcan will receive $154 million in exchange for a percentage royalty interest in 255 million tons of aggregate production over approximately 25 years. The transaction allows Vulcan to unlock long-term value in these quarries, tax efficiently, while maintaining full ownership and operational control of the quarries, fixed assets, and land. A pre-tax gain of $154 million, less modest transaction expenses, will be recognized over the life of the transaction.
Donald M. James, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, "In Plum Creek, we have a partner that shares our long-term view of the value and growth in the aggregates business and is investing based on that view. This transaction provides us capital to deploy in strategic investments in our aggregates business and to strengthen our balance sheet."About Vulcan Materials Company Vulcan Materials Company, a member of the S&P 500 Index, is the nation's largest producer of construction aggregates, a major producer of asphalt mix and concrete and a leading producer of cement in Florida. SOURCE Vulcan Materials Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV