The Los Altos Historical Commission discussed designating the house at 2066 Crist Drive in Los Altos a "historical resource" at a meeting held on Monday. Jobs spent part of his childhood and early adulthood at the single-story California ranch-style home.
In a 26-page report, Zachary Dahl, the commission's staff liaison, described the property's key role in the development of the first Apple computers.
Citing Walter Isaacson's popular biography of Jobs and a card catalog at Stanford University, the report noted that the first 50 Apple 1 computers were assembled at the property for Paul Terrell's Byte Shop in nearby Mountain View.The report also explained that some of the first Apple investors came to the property for a demonstration of the Apple 2 computer. Jobs moved to the property with his parents in 1968 and attended the local middle school in seventh grade, according to the report. He went on to attend nearby Homestead High School, where he met fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. Dahl told ABC News that the Historical Commission anticipates making a decision on the site's status at its meeting on Oct. 28 or Nov. 25. The house was also used as a location in the movie Jobs, the recent Steve Jobs biopic starring Ashton Kutcher. A visionary capable of predicting major shifts in the consumer tech landscape, Jobs masterminded the launch of hugely successful products such as the Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad. Jobs, who stepped down as Apple CEO in August 2011, was 56 years old when he lost his long battle with pancreatic cancer in October of that year. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV