WALTHAM, Mass., Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) is recognizing 32 teachers from 18 states as "Math Heroes" for their effective, innovative methods to promote student enthusiasm and achievement in math. Raytheon will profile each of the 2013 Math Hero Award winners on www.raytheon.com.
Nominated by students, parents and school administrators, these middle and high school math teachers are being honored for using interactive and creative learning approaches to make math real and relatable for their students.
"I want to be able to show my students that math is not just solving problems using pencil and paper, dry erase markers, textbooks and accelerated math," said Raytheon Math Hero Kelly Muscolino, a math teacher at Hawkins Middle School in Forest, Miss., "but that math is everywhere! I want them to be able to apply what we do in the classroom to their everyday lives. I want them to see that no matter where we choose to look in this world, we can find math."
"Math Heroes are passionate professionals who challenge their students to be curious and confident, to discover how math shapes their world," said Pamela Erickson, Raytheon's vice president of Corporate Affairs. "We are thrilled to recognize the hard work and dedication of these inspirational teachers."Each Math Hero receives a $2,500 award and a matching grant for his or her school. Winners are selected based on compelling submissions from nominators on the effective and creative ways teachers work with students in math, drawing on new and advanced approaches. The 2013 Math Hero Award recipients are:
- Natalie Angelis, Lake Nona High School, Orlando, Fla.
- Sean Ashburner, East Lyme Middle School, Niantic, Conn.
- Elizabeth Batten, Greenbrier Middle School, Chesapeake, Va.
- Ian Brown, GATE Academy, San Rafael, Calif.
- Jarrod Brown, Central Catholic High School, Lawrence, Mass.
- Sara Cooley, Allen High School, Allen, Texas
- Ana De Mello, Our Lady of Mercy Catholic High School, Fayetteville, Ga.
- Jeffrey Fronius, Horizon Christian School, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Eric Hendrickson, Ridgecrest Intermediate School, Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.
- Kimberly Kehr, Cimarron Middle School, Parker, Colo.
- Scott Keltner, Eudora High School, Eudora, Kan.
- Benjamin Lei, Arlington High School, Lagrangeville, N.Y.
- Rochelle Leininger, Whitko Middle School, Larwill, Ind.
- Diana Liberto, Aberdeen High School, Aberdeen, Md.
- Elise Maggiacomo, LaSalle Academy, Providence, R.I.
- Laura McConnaughey, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Alexandria, Va.
- Kelly Hagan, Wayland Middle School, Wayland, Mass.
- Magda Mixon, Martinez Middle School, Lutz, Fla.
- Kelly Muscolino, Hawkins Middle School, Forest, Miss.
- TJ Peacher, BASIS Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Azat Penjiyev, Sonoran Science Academy Davis-Montham, Tucson, Ariz.
- Dana Rubin, Montclair High School, Montclair, N.J.
- Patricia Sanders, Randall Middle School, Lithia, Fla.
- Andrew Senka, Fairfield Middle School, Richmond, Va.
- Michelle Sigle, Lowery Freshman Center, Allen, Texas
- Kelley Straight, Focus North High School, Columbus, Ohio
- Donna Tchir-Spence, Oak Street School, Lakewood, N.J.
- Sean Tillman, Southern Boone County Middle School, Ashland, Mo.
- Lynn Tytka, St. Mary's High School, Lancaster, N.Y.
- Stacey Webb, Paradise Junior High School, Paradise, Texas
- Christopher Yetman, Canyon del Oro High School, Tucson, Ariz.
- Julie Young, Prairie View Middle School, Henderson, Colo.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV