BEIJING and DALLAS, Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NQ Mobile™ (NYSE: NQ), a leading global provider of mobile Internet services, announced that its security center has captured and eradicated two new malware strain variants, protecting consumers from possible privacy violations and fraudulent bill charges. The infections a.privacy.SmsManager.a ("Privacy Leaker") and a.payment.Sexyapp.a ("SMS Fraudster") were discovered in the China market and were quarantined prior to inflicting widespread damage.
Dubbed "Privacy Leaker" for its ability to surreptitiously upload users' personal information to the network, a.privacy.SmsManager.a is a newly discovered virus variant that would download onto consumers' devices in the background and be triggered via SMS. Once active, the virus could listen to and intercept incoming SMS as well as collect and upload sensitive phone information to the web server.
"SMS Fraudster," a.payment.Sexyapp.a, is a new virus variant discovered on the Google Play Store in China. After tempting users to install the malicious app, the malware would send premium-rate SMS messages, leading to unexpected charges on users' bills.The new malware discoveries highlight the need for heightened awareness of the growing number of threats to mobile safety and privacy as well as the necessity for smartphone security safeguards. The company encourages all consumers to adhere to the following common-sense guidelines and to consider installing a trusted security application to ensure their devices remain free of infection.
- Only download applications from sources you know and trust such as reputable application stores, websites and other familiar markets
- Be sure to check reviews, ratings and developer information before downloading applications
- Never accept application requests from unknown sources
- Closely monitor the permissions requested by any application to be sure it is accessing no more than what it needs to for its proper functioning
- Be alert for any unusual behavior exhibited by your mobile phone, as it can be a sign of infection
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV