REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Genomic Health, Inc. today announced that the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in the United Kingdom has issued its final guidance recommending Oncotype DX ® as the only multi-gene breast cancer test for use in clinical practice to guide chemotherapy treatment decisions for patients with early-stage, hormone receptor-positive, invasive breast cancer. Consistent with leading international breast cancer treatment guidelines, including ASCO ®, NCCN ®, ESMO ® and St. Gallen, NICE's recommendation recognizes the unparalleled evidence of the clinical validity of the Oncotype DX test and its ability to enable physicians and their patients to make more informed, individualized decisions.
"It is encouraging to see growing recognition of the value of genomic testing. Its provision has enhanced the care of breast cancer patients around the world and it will now be available as an option in the UK," said David Miles, M.D., medical oncologist at Mount Vernon Cancer Centre, Northwood, Middlesex, United Kingdom. "NICE's recommendation for the use of Oncotype DX in the UK is an important step forward, enabling physicians and patients to make better-informed treatment decisions based on the biology of an individual patient's breast cancer."
To date, more than 1,500 women in the UK have utilized the Oncotype DX test to help guide their treatment decisions. Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women, with almost 50,000 people diagnosed each year in the UK. Most of these patients are diagnosed with early-stage, invasive breast cancer and a significant number of them could benefit from this test under the NICE recommendation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV