Maybe it's been happening all along and I just never noticed, but I'm 98.9% certain this is new.
I started typing in the destination address and after only inputting the first two digits -- a 1 and a 2 -- Apple Maps suggested, as the screenshot shows, "1215 Bates Ave. From Sara Leeper." That's because I have an email in my Apple Mail inbox from Sara Leeper that includes that address.
That's smart. And it's that type of experience and subtle, yet incredibly useful integration enhancement Apple needs to keep making. Forget how iOS looks. Just make it work better! That will keep the device upgrade and hardware adoption cycles alive and well forever.Apple Maps didn't just recall an address I had already typed. It went out of its way (if a smartphone platform can actually do something so human) to pull it from my email before I even punched in a quarter of the location. If it was wrong, no harm and no foul. But it was right, which makes things all the more convenient. It's that type of on-the-ground practical experience Apple makes better. That's the the company's strength -- the marriage between its dominant hardware products and still-emerging and evolving software (the "ecosystem") that keeps more than enough people hooked to maintain a killer, high-margin business. Even though I will, improvements in Apple Maps don't stop there. For example, when using a cellular connection, Google Maps has been placing me a block -- sometimes more -- from where I actually am. Apple Maps continues to get more precise, which matters when you're not dealing with a perfect grid-like network of streets and avenues. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV