Let me remind you that even with the 27% growth, the company still missed Street estimates. Plus, it's not just the Consumer business that is struggling. ConAgra's Commercial foods segment shed 0.4% in revenue, with a 7% decline in profits.
I won't deny that management is making some progress with synergizing Ralcorp. It just doesn't seem that management is able to produce any organic growth, which measures a company's operational performance and excluding events like acquisitions.
I'm not suggesting investors should completely dismiss ConAgra's absolute performance. But given how quickly this sector is known to consolidate, it's not enough to look at a single revenue number -- in this case, 27% growth -- and believe that it's digestible. With CEO Gary Rodkin making statements like, "We are revising our merchandising and promotion plans to improve our volume," it is clear that there is still a lot of work to be done.
In that regard, given that ConAgra has guided earnings for this current quarter to 8 cents below Street estimates of 63 cents per share, it's going to be a while before this company can revert to growing margins and generating the sort of cash needed to support a higher share price.The tough part, however, is the stock looks cheap. Even so, investors should remain off the ConAgra diet until the company shows consecutive quarters of organic growth and improved margins. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV