Jim Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Making Portfolios Washington-Proof
Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Can investors Washington-proof their portfolios? That was the question Jim Cramer asked on "Mad Money" Wednesday as he tried to answer what everyone wants to know, "What should I own going into the looming government shutdown debate?".
Cramer said that investors can count on one thing: just as soon as the markets digest one bit of news, i.e. last week's Federal Reserve announcement, it will immediately move onto the next bit of news, which, unfortunately, involves another lengthy debate over the debt ceiling, health care and a probable government shutdown.
But while some companies blame Washington for their misfortunate quarterly results, others, including
(AAPL), a stock Cramer owns for his charitable trust,
Executive Decision: Jim WhitehurstIn the "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer spoke with Jim Whitehurst, president and CEO of Red Hat (RHT), the open-source software provider that saw its shares fall 11% earlier this week after Wall Street decided the company's 2-cents-a-share earnings beat and maintained guidance weren't enough to justify its valuation. Whitehurst said there are multiple ways to look at growth, and the Wall Street community decided to look at only one of them -- billings. Unfortunately, billings offers an incomplete picture, he continued. As deal sizes surpass $10 million, many companies are choosing to pay over time rather than all upfront, which makes longer-term cash flows a more important number to look at, Whitehurst explained .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV