Protested Met Opera Gala Ends on Happy Note
Gay New Jersey-based composer Andrew Rudin initiated the protest by creating an online petition six weeks ago that called for the Met to dedicate its opening night gala to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in response to a gay crackdown in Russia. The opera's Russian composer, Peter I. Tchaikovsky was a homosexual active in the 19th century. Two of the stars of the Met's current production are Russians who have significant political ties to Putin. By Monday night, the petition had garnered close to 10,000 signatures.
In a phone interview Tuesday, Rudin said he came away satisfied that both the Met and the protestors got what they wanted.
"Every single thing that mentions this Met opening mentions what happened there," Rudin said. "I especially loved the last line of
We stand against the significant human rights abuses that take place every day in many countries. But as an arts institution, the Met is not the appropriate vehicle for waging nightly battles against the social injustices of the world. We respect the right of activists to picket our opening night and we realize that we've provided them with a platform to further raise awareness about serious human rights issues abroad."I don't know whether they thought they were being confrontational or if it was just brilliant," Rudin said, bursting into a laugh. "He managed to dedicate the opening night by saying why he wasn't dedicating the opening night!" TheStreet was instrumental in raising awareness of the petition, publishing an interview with Rudin soon after the petition appeared and when it had gained only 200 signatures. In the following week, that number shot up to close to 2,000, attracting interest from other major news outlets around the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV