Student Transportation (NASDAQ: STB) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.60%. Student Transportation, Inc. provides school bus transportation and management services to public and private schools in North America. The company has a P/E ratio of 126.40. The average volume for Student Transportation has been 160,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Student Transportation has a market cap of $514.2 million and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are up 2.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates Student Transportation as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself, unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The share price of STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC has not done very well: it is down 8.30% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Road & Rail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 26.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9.21 million to $6.75 million.
- The gross profit margin for STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.85%. Regardless of STB's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, STB's net profit margin of 5.51% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC's earnings per share declined by 36.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.03 versus $0.00 in the prior year.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- You can view the full Student Transportation Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts