[video] Quick Take: Gold Not Done Going Down
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Following the Federal Reserve's decision not to cut back on its bond purchases, gold has been a tough asset to trade, independent trader Eric Zuccarelli told TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg.
Zuccarelli said gold quickly ran to $1,370 per ounce when it was announced the Fed would not be tapering its bond buying.
Zuccarelli said the non-taper decision wasn't surprising because Chairman Ben Bernanke has been relatively clear on the parameters he was focusing on. When those parameters were not met, it took tapering off the table for the time being.
The move also fueled a short-covering rally in gold and, after a few days of consolidation, many of those short positions are coming back, Zuccarelli said.He went on to say that the interest rate hike in India will likely weigh on physical demand for gold. The combination of less Indian demand and reloaded short positions could be enough to continue driving prices lower. When asked about supply and demand, Zuccarelli said that it matters on occasion during large price swings, but is irrelevant in the day-to-day movements, which are driven more by economics and global unrest. He concluded that gold will likely retest the lows below $1,200 per ounce and perhaps even break lower to make new ones. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV