Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech (Nasdaq:CNTF) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR swung to a loss, reporting -$0.06 versus $0.51 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Communications Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 35.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.71 million to -$0.97 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Communications Equipment industry and the overall market, CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.58%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -3.16% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 30.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
Latest Headlines about CNTF
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV