Last up is JPMorgan Chase (JPM), a stock that's showing traders a textbook reversal pattern right now. Financial sector stocks have benefitted in a big way from this rally all the way up. After all, in many ways, they're a lot like a leveraged bet on stocks. But a head and shoulders top pattern is decoupling JPM's price action from that of the broad market this month.
The head and shoulders pattern is a bearish reversal setup that indicates exhaustion among buyers. It's formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head; the sell signal comes on the breakdown below the pattern's "neckline" level, which is right above $50 at the moment for JPM. That's significant for a couple of reasons: It's a round number that's sure to get more attention from investors, and it's a price that acted as resistance on the way up back in March.
If you think that the head and shoulders is too popular to be worth trading, the research suggests otherwise: a recent academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York found that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in "profits [that] would have been both statistically and economically significant." If you decide to short JPM on a move below $50, I'd still recommend keeping a protective stop at $54.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV