Retail stocks have turned out some strong performance so far this year, and L Brands (LTD) has been no exception -- the $17 billion specialty retail name is up more than 26% since the calendar flipped over to January. But that's all in the past. Now, LTD looks "toppy."
L Brands is currently forming a double top, a price setup that's formed by two swing highs that peak at the same level. Those two tops happened in early August and then again in the middle of this month. A move through $56 is the signal that it's time to be a seller in LTD.Momentum adds some extra evidence to downside in LTD. 14-day RSI had been in an uptrend for most of the year, but that uptrend broke when this stock made its first top in August. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that doesn't bode well for shareholders right now. Still, to avoid a false positive, I'd recommend waiting for $56 to get taken out before cutting LTD loose.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV