NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Monday's announcement that Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. will pay $4.7 billion to beleaguered BlackBerry (BBRY)private, the Canadian communications company has to deal with yer another problem: the unauthorized released of a version of its upcoming BBM software for Google's (GOOG) Android and Apple (AAPL)iOS smartphones.
BlackBerry shares were losing 2.2% on that rather uncomfortable news, falling to $8.64 in New York trading.
According to a corporate blog posting an older, outdated version of the company's soon-to-be-released messaging application was posted on a number of Internet file sharing sites last week.
Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President in charge of BBM at BlackBerry wrote the hijacked software "resulted in volumes of data traffic orders of magnitude higher than normal for each active user and impacted the system in abnormal ways." The company had planned on releasing the approved app last weekend but decided to delay the rollout until experts realized "we could not block users of the unreleased version if we went ahead with the launch".Blackberry engineers attempted to fix the problem over the weekend but realized "but as active users of the unreleased app neared a million - and accelerated - it became clear that the only way to address the issue was to pause the rollout for both Android and iPhone.." Bocking says the problem is a big one and a total block of the unreleased software will take time. The company is also in the process of bolstering its servers to handle any similar problems in the future. No exact time frame for the approved software was disclosed.Earlier this year the BlackBerry officials had promised a summer release for the BBM app. Written by Gary Krakow in New York. To submit a news tip, send an email to: <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com</a>.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV