Kenya Mall Fight Continues, Hostages Still Held
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As fighting in the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, continues into its fourth day, the terrorist group behind the attack is warning that more attacks will follow.
The Somalia-based Al-Shabaab issued a warning that it will continue to stage such attacks if Kenya doesn't withdraw its forces from Somalia, according to Al Jazeera's English Twitter feed.
Despite assurances from Kenyan authorities that they have secured the mall and have the situation under control, gunfire and explosions were still being heard, according to the most recent press accounts Tuesday. A working Twitter account claiming to represent Al-Shabaab has posted that hostages are still being held and the gunmen are still holding down their positions, according to The Associated Press and other sources.
The number of dead from the fighting is being reported at 62, but fears are increasing that the actual number could be much higher. Some Americans may be among the dead. The list of those known to have been killed include three British citizens, two French nationals and two Canadians, according to CNN. African literary figure Kofi Awoonor is among those killed.Three of the terrorists have been confirmed dead. Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed told the PBS Newshour television show that "two or three Americans" and a British woman were among the militants. Al-Shabaab has denied foreigners were involved. -- Written by TheStreet staff in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV