PARIS, Sept. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that it will deploy an IP-based mobile backhaul network to support LTE-Advanced services for SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM, KSE: 017670), Korea's largest mobile operator.
The Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Label Switching-based (IP/MPLS) mobile backhaul solution, to be deployed in October, will link SK Telecom cell sites. With this new solution SK Telecom will support LTE-Advanced, LTE, WiBro (WiMAX), and Wi-Fi mobile data traffic as well as improve the quality of its mobile IPTV service named 'B tv mobile', and improve customer satisfaction by offering new mobile services.
Key Facts :
- SK Telecom was the first service provider in the world to commercialize LTE-Advanced when it launched service in June 2013, and expanded its LTE-Advanced service to the main areas of 84 cities nationwide in late July. LTE-Advanced offers ultra broadband network speeds of up to 150 Mbps, which is two times faster than that of LTE, and up to 10 times faster than 3G networks. LTE-Advanced users can download an 800MB movie in just 43 seconds.
- Over its LTE-Advanced network, SK Telecom is providing premium broadband multimedia services to customers including group video calling with 12 times better video quality than previously available, T Baseball Multiview allowing viewers to watch two different games at the same time and T Shopping, a mobile home shopping app/service that provides major home shopping channels.
- Alcatel-Lucent will deploy its 7750 Service Router (SR) and 5650 Control Plane Assurance Manager along with the Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM).
- Alcatel-Lucent is rapidly accelerating investments in IP routing to help customers evolve as quickly as possible to all-IP networks. This will help them to rollout services more quickly and efficiently and meet their customers' data demands today and into the future.
- Alcatel-Lucent has shipped 300,000 service router platforms (7750 SR) to more than 500 service providers, including KT, LG U+, SK Broadband Korea, as well as globally to customers including AT&T, Verizon, BT and NTT Docomo.
- This project aligns with Alcatel-Lucent's focus on IP platforms as outlined in The Shift Plan announced on June 19, 2013.
Quotes:Chi Il Yoo, Head of Alcatel-Lucent Korea, said: "With this deployment by SK Telecom we are once again demonstrating Alcatel-Lucent's significant momentum in the IP business which we have targeted in our recently announced 'Shift Plan' as the market area with significant future growth opportunities for our company. Alcatel-Lucent has been deploying all-IP networks throughout Korea. Based on the successful deployment of those IP projects, we are committed to supplying our core router solution to the major service providers. And with this award, we are strengthening and expanding our position in IP-related areas such as Data Center, Cloud, Network Function Virtualization, and Software Defined Networking in local markets." Additional information:
- 7750 Service Routers (SR): http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/products/7750-service-router/details
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts