IXYS Corporation (NASDAQ:IXYS), a leader in power semiconductors, mixed-signal and digital ICs for power conversion and motion control applications, announced today the introduction of the PCX-7401 precision laser diode driver and current source by its
division. This instrument provides precision pulsed current with accurate microprocessor-based digital power control.
The PCX-7401 is an air-cooled, bench-top current source featuring separate pulse and bias current adjustment designed to drive diode lasers, bars and arrays up to 3A with a bias (simmer) current up to 0.5A at 15V maximum forward voltage. Leveraging the proven design of the popular and successful PCX-7420 high power laser diode driver, the PCX-7401 expands IXYS Colorado’s product offerings to enable a new range of lower-current laser diode applications for research, laboratory, scientific and industrial applications.
Utilizing one of several communication choices standard with the PCX-7401, users can easily develop automated testing and characterization configurations which can be stored in the instrument’s on-board memory. It may also be operated through its intuitive front panel controls. The color LCD provides immediate visual confirmation of all operating parameters.
- 0A – 3A Output Current – high current capability with 0 – 0.5A bias and an additional 3.0A of laser pulse current.
- Fast Rise and Fall Times – less than 100nS for high speed applications.
- Pulsed output from 100nS to DC.
- Forward Voltages up to 15V – combining higher current and a 15V capability, the PCX-7401 provides flexibility to test both single diodes and arrays.
- Output Bias (Simmer) Current.
- Diode and Driver Safety – safety features include over current limit, open load detection and diode steering (prevents reverse current).
- Ease of Operation – intuitive touch screen interface.
- Ethernet, USB & RS232 all standard.
- CE and RoHS compliant – the PCX-7401 is compliant with both the CE and RoHS standards.
“We built upon the PCX-7420 21.5A diode driver to develop a new, lower-current instrument in the PCX-7401. It brings the industry-leading pulse performance that IXYS Colorado customers have come to know to a new range of applications between .005A and 3A,” said Stephen Krausse, General Manager of DEI. “This product takes advantage of our decades of experience designing current sources, and the power integration knowledge in IXYS, to provide a unique and innovative power systems solution to our customers.”