NEW YORK and LONDON, Sept. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- While the first Fed taper has been postponed, the first taper should occur within the next two to six months according to BNY Mellon Chief Economist Richard Hoey in his most recent Economic Update entitled, "Seven Year Expansion."
"We regard the Fed's failure to start the taper as a leading indicator of a central bank which will eventually end up 'behind the curve' in its monetary policy, slowly building up the pressure for a major upward spike in interest rates in 2017 or 2018, following the Presidential election of 2016," said Hoey. "While the first Fed taper has been postponed, we expect the first taper to occur within the next two to six months."
Hoey expects an acceleration in global economic growth in 2014, above the pace of 2012 and 2013. This should be largely attributable to stronger growth in many developed countries in response to past monetary ease and continuing monetary ease, he says. While there should be a mixed pattern among emerging countries, Hoey states that fears of a developing market crisis appear overdone and continued expansion at a moderate rate can be anticipated in most of them."We believe the U.S. economy has moved into the second half of what we expect will be seven consecutive years of economic expansion," Hoey says. "U.S. real GDP has grown at about 2% over the past four years, but we expect an acceleration to three years of 3% real economic growth in 2014, 2015 and 2016. This should be due largely to the fading of several drags, such as the federal fiscal drag and the state and local downsizing drag. The U.S. is not very inflation-prone, so monetary policy can remain stimulative. The dovish stance of monetary policy was reinforced by the Fed's recent decision to postpone the first taper of QE3."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV