The bank is cutting about 8% of the 13,000 jobs in its mortgage unit, with the bulk of the cuts -- about 760 -- coming from its Las Vegas operations, according to Reuters.
Mortgage revenue is expected to drop sharply in the third quarter as higher interest rates cause refinancing activity to slow.
Other banks are also cutting personnel, including Wells Fargo (WFC), which has announced 4,800 layoffs so far this quarter, with most of them coming from the mortgage unit. Bank of America (BAC) has also laid off 2,100 employees, according to several reports.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV